Sunday 19 October 2008

Press coverage

I have now returned from my travels after some relaxing sunshine in Cyprus. I managed a few runs whilst there although things tailed off in the last few days due to an excursion to Cairo. Also, our flight from Cyprus was delayed which resulted in missing our Isle of Man connection, therefore the run I had planned for today did not happen.

I have been looking at the press coverage from last Sunday’s cross country. Whilst I feel that the Chit Chat column is past its sell-by date, I have to say that coverage of local events is generally excellent and is often accompanied by colour photos from the likes of John Watterson, Mike Wade and John Maddrell as well as some “amateurs” from the athletics community. We should be really appreciative of this coverage. A look at a local paper in the UK is likely to see athletics and cross country in particular tucked away.

Looking at last week’s results it was encouraging to see a good turn-out in the Short Course event – let’s hope this continues in the coming rounds.

Tomorrow night – Monday – I am planning to attend the Tribute Night being laid on for local cycling stars Jonny Bellis and Mark Cavendish. I hope that there is a good turn-out for them after such incredible success in 2008. We can only envy at the success in local cycling and wonder how we can try to emulate some of this success in athletics. This is a theme I will return to at the later date.

No comments: