Monday 26 January 2009

Hoping for the race of the season

One of my earliest running memories is taking part in the 1975 (!!) Isle of Man Cross Country Championships at Nobles Park – under 11’s race! The main things I remember about my race are that we ran further because it was the championship and the late Steven Mackie won the race effortlessly because he was very good. I think I was third wth Northern AC timekeeper in second place. I also remember that Steve Kelly won the senior race from Dave Newton and the buzz that pervaded throughout the afternoon. Who knows what impact that had on me as a ten year old but 34 years on that I am writing this suggests it was a favourable one!

This Sunday sees the 2009 edition of the Isle of Man Championships, being held at Pulrose Golf Course. David Griffiths has already provided an excellent preview on both the men’s and women’s races on the manxathletics.com forum. I am hoping it will be the race of the year as its championship status deserves –fine weather, good crowd creating an electric atmosphere, a large field and an exciting race would all go down well. If a few of the fell runners have a go that would add even more spice.

Kevin Loundes has had a great winter and will start as favourite in the main race of the day – the senior men’s race. If he does win it will be reward for hard work over the past three years. However, surprises can happen and Darren Gray is the one most likely to cause an upset. He already knows about upsets in this race - in 2004 Darren was probably the race favourite but Andy Cannell had a storming run to upset the form book to take the honours. I remember afterwards Andy telling me he had carbo-loaded or two days to build up his energy! He proved it was no fluke by winning again in 2005 since when John Halligan has been the man to beat. It looks like we could see a new name on the trophy this year.

It could be quite muddy on Sunday after so much recent rain so that may also have a bearing on positions throughout the field. I will look for internet access on my trip away and see the results on Sunday night. May the best man win!!

Let’s hope for good sized fields in all the age groups and close racing throughout – it is what Championship racing is all about.

I am also pleased to see that Sunday counts as double points for the Manx Gas Challenge – this was something I proposed a while ago to encourage those running the league to take part in the Championship – it isn’t just for those at the front of the field.

No comments: